The IT Systems Specialist is responsible for the repair, setup, programming and troubleshooting of servers, end-user devices (computers, laptops, tablets, smartphones, etc.), network infrastructure, and hosted/virtual products. This position’s primary focus is to serve as the point of contact and service for business customer IT support. The IT Systems Supervisor will assign specific job duties to ensure coverage of all responsibilities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities- other duties may be assigned:
- Responsible for installation and servicing of servers, workstations, and networking devices, including hardware, operating system, and software configurations, at business customer sites;
- Responsible for building networks to customer specifications;
- Responsible for assisting customers with technology purchases, repairs, and upgrades. Provides technical support for walk-in, call-in and online customers. Promotes technology products and services in collaboration with the Sales teams. Works with sales staff to prepare quotes based on a collaborative evaluation of the customer’s technology and network needs. Assists with maintaining the department’s inventory levels, as well as researching and ordering products;
- Assists with the installation, troubleshooting and repair of broadband hardware and software at customer premises as needed;
- Performs all duties and responsibilities listed under the Internet CSR, Combination Technician and CPE Technician Job Descriptions, as needed and as assigned.
Position and advancement within the wage range established for this position are dependent upon performance and the scope of the duties and responsibilities assigned.
Computer Science or similar technical degree or related training. Experience with servers (domain controller and active directory), cloud/hosted solutions and virtual machines. An interest and desire in continuing education and training to keep up with changes in technology.
Job Knowledge & Related Skills
Experience with business servers, computers and networking. Ability to develop skills to work independently on Windows Servers including hardware, operating systems, networking, and software (ADDS, Group Policy, DHCP, DNS, Exchange, and file server roles) and Windows workstations including hardware, operating systems, networking, and software.
Ability to work independently on configuring customer LAN networks with firewalls, routers, and subnetting. Ability to troubleshoot customer routing, switching, and cabling issues. Ability to work on virtual machines and hardware such as Esxi, Hyper-V, and VMware, including build/configuration, operations, maintenance, and troubleshooting. Ability to develop backup solutions for customer data including the use of hardware, software, and group policy configurations. Can work under and handle stressful periods when meeting deadlines. Can manage multiple projects and tasks, balancing customer priorities and deadlines.
Must have strong customer service skills and the ability to work independently and as a team player. Responds to customers and community in a way that ensures positive public relations. Recognizes that one of the most important performance areas in which Consolidated functions is public and customer relations. To ensure continued growth and success, courteous and friendly relationships with customers must be maintained. Can answer customer inquiries and refer unanswered questions to the appropriate supervisory personnel.
The IT Systems Specialist may be required to participate in the On-Call & Weekend Duty rotation. This position may also require occasional overtime.
The IT Systems Specialist reports to the IT Systems Supervisor.
Maintains close relationship with all departments. Works primarily with business customers. Works with manufacturers, suppliers and vendors in sourcing and researching products for customer projects.
- Computer Science or similar specialized training
- Experience in setup, programming, troubleshooting, and repair of servers, workstations, and network products. Experience with cloud or hosted products and virtual machine hosts and servers.
- Customer service oriented
- Valid Driver’s License
- Time and project management skills
- Productive and responsible conduct
- Professional appearance and manner
- Ability to work and communicate well with others
- Strong computer and networking career commitment
- Able to work with little or no supervision
- Imaginative effort to solve customer and company problems
- Team player and willing to take initiative