If someone else is trying to call you while you’re already on the phone, Call Waiting will alert you with a “beep.” You may then put the first person on hold while you catch your second call. Now you can keep on talking even while you wait for another important phone call.
- A beep tone tells you another call is waiting.
- Another reminder will be heard 10 seconds later if the waiting call remains unanswered.
- The second caller hears only the normal ringing tone.
- Depress the switchhook* for about one second to place your first call on hold.
- You will automatically be connected with the second caller.
- Depress the switchhook for about one second to alternate between calls.
- Each conversation is private and cannot be heard by the other caller.
- Simply hang up.
- Your telephone will then ring.
- When you answer it, you’ll be connected with the other caller.
- *The switchhook is the button that the handset pushes down when you hang up the phone or use your flash but-ton. Your phone is “off the hook” when that button is up.
Here’s how you can temporarily turn off your Call Waiting feature before making a call that you don’t want interrupted.
- Before making your call, push *70 on your touchtone phone (or dial 1170 on your rotary dial phone). You will hear three short tones followed by a dial tone.
- Place your call.
- Call Waiting is automatically restored when you hang up.